Downtown Ogden

Downtown Ogden

Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Mornings and Fridays

I don't have much interest in the middle spectrum of life. The nature of the soul interests me and so does what's for breakfast. Everything else is a distraction.

Not meaning to beat the dead horse, but I've mentioned before that we were really spoiled for food in the Adirondacks, so finding suitable substitutes for our provender has been paramount. Dogwood Bakery provided me with coffee and granola every morning, as well as pizza every Friday. We found a replacement for the pizza at Sitara India, where we now order our Friday treat (the Adirondacks does not spoil one with a surfeit of ethnic cuisine...)

Sitara is very affordable and very delicious. The staff is friendly and the take-out service takes awhile. Give yourself 45 minutes. Sometimes, they say 25 or 35 minutes. Call ahead. Give yourself 45 minutes. No matter what, it's worth it. For about twenty bucks, you can feed two adults dinner and lunch the next day.

The other thing I've been trying to track down is my morning bowl of granola. Mass-produced granola invariably has two problems - it tastes funny and it costs too much. It's often very sweet, flavored like fake vanilla, it comes in crusty conglomerates of semi-chewed oats and rice puffs and tastes pumpkin-y or contains any of a number of weird combination of blobs and spices. Granola is what I eat most of the time because I don't feel like cooking oatmeal. When I cook oatmeal it contains: oats, raisins, salt, water. I like my granola about the same - though with less water and maybe some nuts and seeds.

I found a couple of decent bulk-bin granolas around Ogden in one place or another - notably, Smith's has a microscopic-but-satisfying selection of bulk granola.

But last night, shopping at Macey's (because the power had gone out at the Smith's) I found this:


It was on the top shelf in the cereal aisle about 1/3 of the way down on the right if you're facing the front of Macey's. It was 8.99 for three pounds. Clinton's Fruit and Nut Granola contains "Rolled oats, Yellow D Brown Sugar, Soy Bean Oil, Raisins, Cashews, Wheat Bran, Wheat Germ, Unsweetened Coconut, Sesame Seeds, Sea Salt, Vanilla."

It's made down the road from here in Bountiful, UT, and it hits the spot. Get you some.

No comments:

Post a Comment