Downtown Ogden

Downtown Ogden

Monday, February 13, 2012

Grocery Champs

Smith's it is! For general grocery-ness, plus stocking bison and nitrite-free bacon, Smith's wins the where-I-go-shopping-mostly prize. I've never been to a town that has such a wide range of regional and home-grown grocery stores - it's never really mattered much - but Ogden sports an especially healthy grocery ecology (with minor demerits for hard-to-find hippie food).

If you want an amazing bulk-bin experience, shop the Winco: it sports bulk quinoa in multiple colors! If you need 14 pounds of generic chocolate chips, malt flour, or a sock-full of pancake mix, Winco is the spot. Macey's does well in the family grocery category - especially for price, but they're closed on Sunday. I usually have no idea whether I will shop Saturday or Sunday for the week, so Macey's takes a hit from Heisenberg.

I recently learned of a sheep dairy in the area that also sends lambs to a butcher shop in Morgan. After I replace the timing belt in the suburban assault vehicle, I'll check that out.

No comments:

Post a Comment