Downtown Ogden

Downtown Ogden

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Trail of Crumbs

When we lived in the Adirondacks, we were terribly spoiled by living near one of the best bakeries in the country - Dogwood Bread Company. Located in Wadhams!, NY, the Dogwood was our last refuge, our source of nourishment, and a place for warm companionship. It had such a magical quality, sequestered in the holler-cum-crossroads of Wadhams!, I expect that if I ever try to go back, the place will have disappeared Brigadoon-wise into a Highland fog, only to reappear in 2107 - or maybe we'd come back to a weathered foundation and the locals would say "hasn't been a bakery here in 50 years - the old one burned down in 1955..." and we will have been sustained by the phantasmic bread of spectral bakers...

Probably neither of those things is true, but I miss the place.

For me, the real joys in life have become pretty simple, and largely gustatory. I need fresh vegetables, kindly-treated meat, good bread, and good beer. I don't want my food to have to travel too much farther than I do to meet me at the market. So I went on the trail of my leavened fix.

Ogden is a quirky place. It's a town that shows its roots, and home to a divergent population - which is one of its charms and strengths. It's a little shy on earthy undertones, though not totally devoid of them. If I were stirring a city cocktail, I would shake a few more hippies into the mix - you can almost discern the approach of a critical mass of crunchiness that verges on the spontaneous eruption of a co-op or good bakery. The microbews, brew pubs, coffee shops, and crafters have already secured the beachhead...(we even saw a yarn-bombed tree!)

Instead, our search for a good local bakery pointed us to Logan, Utah - home of Crumb Brothers bakery. It's got the look and feel of the kind of local bakery that makes a town truly civilized - but Logan is an hour away. Luckily for us, Crumb Brothers distributes to Ogden in the Harrison Ave Fresh Market. Get there early for your favorite artisan loaf: the bread is delivered fresh daily (except Sunday) but it gets picked over by early afternoon.

Maybe someday if Ogden can rope in a few more hair-farmers, Crumb Brothers can open up an Ogden store and soak up some of those Trustafarian dividends. In the meantime, spread the word to all your ski-bum friends: Ogden has some of the best (locals say THE best) powder in the Rockies right outside of town (think Bozeman : Bridger Bowl :: Missoula : Snowbowl :: Ogden : Snowbasin.)

No comments:

Post a Comment